Essential Elements for a New Website
October 24, 2011 by Mark
Here are some top tips when creating a new website.
- Clear Concept & Purpose – Start with a blank piece of paper, and write down the purpose of the site. Ask yourself, what are you trying to achieve?
- Engaging Website – Would you be engaged by the content?
- Natural SEO
- Choose a domain name that you can build into a brand. Avoid keyword rich domains unless you have the backing to develop it into a brand, like Hotels.com
- Clean markup that validates in W3 Validator.
- Fast page load times.
- Unique, good quality content that people will want to read.
- Add links to social media pages
- Add Facebook share box
- Add videos
- Good internal link structure, including a Breadcrumb.
- Avoid duplicate meta data or title tags
- One H1, two H2, three H3 etc.
- MicroFormats, eg. hReview for review sites – Microformats.org